Friday, August 20, 2010

Flowers Can't Fix Everything

Flowers can fix a lot of things.
Like sometimes, when I wake up in the morning and walk past the dining room and see my beautiful cherry furniture where we used to sit with our four kids every Thanksgiving and Christmas which I just sold to a nice, not divorced couple who are coming to pick it up and bring to their new home in Texas where they are moving to be closer to their grandchildren, I can keep on walking right out to the deck and look at my orange zinnias blooming and remember that there are pretty things mixed in with all the ugly things in life.
But when a man calls the flower shop and wants to send birthday flowers to his wife and - by the way- they are going through a divorce, I know that is something that flowers won't fix.
But still, I ask what her favorite color is and he says he doesn't know and I feel really bad for thinking: "Well, you idiot, maybe if you paid attention to things like that, you wouldn't be where you are right now."
But instead I tell him I will make something very pretty, and I will sign the card "I'll Miss You" just like he has asked me to.
And I decide to make the bouquet all yellow.
Yellow like a brand new day.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for putting it into just the right words.

    ReplyDelete