Monday, August 23, 2010

Populars, Geeks and Jesus Freaks

I don't know what it is about teenage girls, but they seem to like placing themselves in a social group and sticking to that from about seventh grade until Junior year in high school.

After that, they have figured out who they are and settle into just being themselves.
I am rearing my third teenage girl now, and as gung-ho as her oldest sister was about boys and dances and friends and her second sister was about vocabulary words and the exact decimal point of her GPA, that girl is gung-ho about Jesus!

It all started about six months ago when she attended a youth group meeting at the church we attend (sometimes). She met some kids she really liked. They were nice. There were some cute boys there. There was some cool music. And so she began to attend all of the youth events, which took place pretty much every night. And now she is a Jesus Freak.

Don't get me wrong. I am down with Jesus. But I am one of those people who believes in moderation. Some Jesus in the morning and maybe some Jesus at night before bed. But Jesus all the time kind of tires me out.
My youngest daughter reminds me that Jesus does not like swearing or yelling. He does not like it when you say something mean about someone who is torturing you, even if it is completely true.

But there is a silver lining to being the parent of a Jesus Freak:  Jesus Freak teenagers are pretty respectful to their parents because of my favorite bible sentence: Honor your father and mother. That one is saving me from all the back-talk and disrespect that I got from the other sisters.
Thank you Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. Just think, in a few years she will swing the other way and announce she is an atheist. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you know I am down with it because I are one. Plus she's right, Jesus more than "a little in the morning and a little at night" makes for less yelling and sadness in the middle of the day. Take it from someone who has been both popular and a geek and, for 26 years now, a Jesus Freak. I found out about all His goodness when I was exactly where you are. Hmmm.

    Actually, it is the first commandment with a promise "Honor your father and mother - so that it will go well with you in the land that you are entering."

    ReplyDelete